Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What Does it Matter?



The recent media splash of "Is it Jesus' tomb" is much to do about nothing. I have never understood the need to prove Jesus existed by scientific method. My faith in Jesus as the risen Son of God is not dependent on rigid fact. As a matter of fact, if everything is proven about Jesus faith is no longer faith. It becomes a human bound ridged ritual.

For me, by definition faith is belief in realities that can not be proven by the limits of human nature. The human need to know everything about God within the limits of our limited sense of reality and in turn making a small God, is an attempt to displace the one God with a human god of the self.

If I remember correctly there are a number of stories in the first eleven chapters of Genesis that speak to the human desire to control God and to become god. The truth and reality of God is our inability to understand God, to have someone greater that the self to trust.

One of the many sad parts of the "tomb of Jesus media event" is that the people that are recruited to speak for "people of faith" by the media are as rigid and ridiculous as the people who are trying to present reality as they see it.

The blow hard that was on Larry King last night has done more to drive people away from faith than any empirical evidence given by the film makers. If there was ever a person that represent what a "christian" is not to be like it would be this guy. I have seen him on a number of shows but I have been outraged and embarrassed by what he says that I can never remember his name.

I know that media want caustic and irrational guests to bump up ratings and a level headed thinking Christian does not make good TV.

In the end I matters not what someone digs out of the ground or spews on TV, as Paul wrote, Love (God) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all thinks. Love (God) never ends.

In this world today a person has to believe this because there is no prof that God is and I don't want any.

5 comments:

laughing pastor said...

But I thought Jesus was buried in Missouri?

Fat Doctor said...

LOL, LP.

laughing pastor said...

Well said, PT! Mrs. Laughing Pastor
PS--Everyone knows that Jesus is entombed in Utah. DUH!

SeaSpray said...

And how do you know he's not in JERSEY??

I agree with you PT pastor. "Faith is believing in things not seen" ?? sorry don't remember the scripture.

I get embarrassed for the name of Christianity when some of thee guests are on. Indeed, some people who don't know the faith might wonder why they would want to be a Christian if that is what a Christian is like. Sad.

Billy Graham on the other hand is so humble, loving and wise and I can't think of a better ambassador of Christ. :)

Seeker said...

Not being in the US, I didn't see the Larry King interview, but I found a transcript. Here's a link for anybody else that's interested.