Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Dreaded Season of Yart


I have been called a curmudgeon, and a cynic but as a pastor it is hard not to be this time a year. Last night as Wife and I were on the way to weight watcher to begin (again) the program, we drove past the epitome of Xmas "yart," that is my term for yard art. I have to call it Xmas "yart" because I can not attach Christ's name to it.

It was a house that had a flock of different and distinct lighted blow up decorations. There was a NOEL, a Santa, what looked to be a penguin, a couple of snow globes, the rest was a blur. On our way home, we were one hour late for the last meeting, we drove by to count. There were 9 of them! Wife made the comment that if you put them together they would be bigger than the house they were stationed around.

In general I have no problem with decorations for the Christmas holiday. It is important to express the joy of the season and share that joy with friends and strangers. I do not mind purely secular or purely religious themes.

What does bother me is mixing the two. The best example of this phenomenon I can think of is one house that has the "Statue of Liberty" filling the roll of the angel watching over the manger. This presentation also has Hughie Louie and Dewy as the three kings. I have been afraid to look to see who or what is filling in for Jesus. The other mixed message I have observed in a number of places is of a Santa and sleight with a lighted sign proclaiming "Jesus is the Reason for the Season." Which infers that God is the chubby guy in the red suit.

We do decorate for the holidays. We have wreath on the door, lights on the bushes, a Christmas tree and maybe this year we will put the icicle lights left by the previous owner. I have found more Christmas spirit since Son has been with us but I want to focus on Christmas, the anticipation of Christ and the gift of life.

Happy Hallothanksmas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In deep South Texas it nearly never snows.(it did once about 2 years ago, and people are still in shock) However, lawns are filled with Santa Sleighs and reindeer. Makes me laugh every time.

Whats sad is you see all these lights and candy cane lined driveways and really no reference to Jesus Christ. My area is filled with DIEHARD Catholics and maybe it's just me, but I expect better. Would it kill someone to put up a Nativity Scene? The weather here is pretty close to a desert area and really it makes more sense than any blow up snowman, jolly fat guy dressed in a fur suit, or snow globe for that matter.

As for me, I will have a tree and MAYBE I'll put lights on the front porch and enjoy the minature nativity scene I have in my home. I will also be attending the annual Midnight Mass because CHRIST TRULY IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON,BUT HE'S ALSO THE REASON WE'RE STILL HERE AND ABLE TO CELEBRATE IT.

PT Pastor said...

Billmaker

There is nothing stranger than seeing icicle lights on a palm tree. or and adobe house.

Jaimie said...

I don't mind seasonal decorations. Actually, I love to see tasteful lights and decorations (wreaths, garland, bows, the occasional sleigh). I do so enjoy when we have the live Nativity scene we have at right before Christmas. I detest all of these blowup "things". Blow up Santas that are ten feet tall are ridiculous. Projectors that display an image as large as the house drive me nuts. I can just hear the wheel on the electric meter spinning like a record player. I can't help but think of how much money is being wasted and how these people could use to help others instead. Too many people are worried about HAVING a roof over their heads, not which outlandish decoration to put on the roof. It makes me very, very sad.

Artemis said...

My youngest son has been reading a story, which includes a few blurbs about owls "YARPING" (where they regurgitate stomach contents)...perhaps this isn't YART, but YARP that's creating such discomfort for you...

All the best this holiday season!

A

Kim said...

Across my street is an inflatable Santa on a Motocycle.

Santa must be the Fonz.

Does that mean that Jesus is Richie Cunningham? Never thought that Jesus looked like Ron Howard....

Ayyyyyyyy

SeaSpray said...

John Grisham's book "Skipping Christmas" is a great read for this time of year - very funny!

I myself just finished decorating and just posted about the debacle with the outside Christmas lites. Honest - I am really NOT shallow!

I detest the big blow up things. I am more traditional. Maybe the kids love it?

And ALWAYS Christ IS the reason for all this celebrating!