Thursday, November 23, 2006

Flying with the Family


This holiday I have had a first time experience. We traveled by air for the first as a family. Son had flown before but it was with Grandma to visit Wife when she was in the hospital on the coast. As most of you know, one of the benefits of traveling for work, I would say one of the very few, is collecting frequent flier miles and car rental days. We were able to plan this trip far enough ahead of time to take advantage of the miles and days on the same trip (some would say this is evidence that there are still miracles in our time.)

The night before we traveled we spent our time packing, that is after I had to go to a church meeting which was a 90 mile round trip. Since this is the first time flying with a two year old the amount of needed support equipment is incredible. I have seen rock bands with less road equipment.

In the morning, before we left for the airport, I walked into the kitchen and found Wife safety pinning a baggy with contact information to Son's back. If he had been wearing a blue hat and carrying a musket it would appear that he was heading into the civil war battle of the "Wilderness." When I saw this I blurted out something like you have got to be kidding. My thoughts were with that on his back we looked like amateur travelers and that would draw the attention to every pickpocket and thief. I did not want to find myself chasing a thief down the terminal because we look like an easy target. Wife gave me this hurt look and said to the effect her mother had put this information in their pockets as children and that she did not want to lose Son.

After we had gotten the bags checked and were heading to security I discovered a baggage tag taped to Son's back. I decided to not make an issue of the little soldier.

By the time we got to our destination airport after a 3 hour layover at a hub including a maintenance issue with the plane, I had one tired child and frustrated spouse. I just want to get in the rental van and to friends home.

Right know we are getting ready to be comatized by turkey and pumpkin pie. In three days we get to play this trip in reverse. I wonder if for this trip Son will have his name tag on the front of his shirt or in his pocket.

3 comments:

PassingGuest said...

We're glad you made the effort! So happy to see you and yours anytime.....mrs. laughing pastor

Anonymous said...

LOL I LOVE THE SITE METER.....FATDOCTOR HAS SUCH A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR....:) LOVE IT.

PT Pastor said...

FD had no input on naming site meter. She asked what I wanted to call it and I thought since she is the "blog pusher" it seemed appropriate. FD does have a great sence of humor. She laught when I said it.