Thursday, January 18, 2007

Know Your Space


On the way to work today it occurred to me, not for the first time, that one of the ways we can divide the world of humanity is between people who are aware of their surroundings and how their actions effect other people and how other peoples action effect them ---and those people who do not have a clue.

I am convinced that 80% of auto accidents are the result of people not being aware that there are really other people in the other cars that have independent thought and not in a video game. That is not the only place.


  • There are the times in the grocery store where a person leaves their cart sit sideways in the aisle and or where the person ahead of you at the check out decides to balance their check book at the register.

  • Then there are the times in the security line at the airport where people hear from the minute thye get in line they hear, or not, "have your ID's out and available" and when they get to head of the line they have repacked their ID in the bottom of the carry-on.

  • There is the theater patron who takes cell phone calls and want to talk about fishing during the movie.

It is not that they only inconvenience others, there are safety issues. If you are not aware of where you are at all time you could, in the extreme, get killed. Expecting people to stop while jaywalking is not a good assumption. The person in the car could be balancing their checkbook (I am probably giving people more credit with the checkbook thing.)


One of the skills my father had and and mother has that was passed on to me and my sisters is the ability to be aware of the immediate world around us. From our father it was the ability to quickly appraise the a situtation and determine what is the appropriate response. When you survive 90 days in constant combat in World War II, you have to have that ability or you die in the first day. From our mother we got the ability to discover what is new and to have the curiosity to investigate.


One of the things I would like to pass on to Son is this ability to live fully aware of his environment. It has gotten me through a lot of life that would have been more difficult if I had been oblivious.


The only burden is that he will spend an a lot of time frustrated with most of the the other people in the world or at least the United States.

5 comments:

Fat Doctor said...

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..." to balance my checkbook. As if!

Susan Palwick said...

I once attended a funeral where not only did a cell phone ring, but its owner took the call.

Words fail.

Anonymous said...

Manners is surely in short supply these days. Where I live, people are very rude and self important.

Shopping in a grocery store here is terrible. It's like people will actually block the passage way and talk to a friend, neighbor, or anyone so long as they can block the aisle completely. I get frustrated because even when I say 'excuse me' they ignore me until I say it sounding just as rude as they're being.
Moms and Dads really should teach respect for their fellow man to their children.

Bo... said...

You're right about shoppers. And they're getting more aggressive. These days, a voyage through Walmart is almost like being in the "bumper car" rides at the carnival!

SeaSpray said...

You are right. I confess that I have been one of those fidgety drivers - usually applying lipstick, other makeup,juggling coffee or playing with the radio. Also,reading maps while driving for my Lifeline job and occasionally the cell phone. i actually try not to use the cell phone when driving.

If you really think about, it is pretty awesome to think how one small action or event can change even the course of history as well as have a ripple effect in our day to day lives.

I think I should seriously change my driving habits. Good post. :)