Thursday, January 11, 2007

Unbalanced



Wife and I joined a gym last Saturday. This is the first time in 15 years that I have (or even planed to) gone to a gym. I am not sure if Wife has ever worked out with weights. When we signed up Wife purchased a 5 session package with a professional trainer. I, being a man, with vast experience with gyms (ya right) decided I would try it on my own after I got my initial orientation.


Wife went for the first time to work out with her sister on Sunday and had a good experience. Her first appointment with the trainer is this coming Saturday. I went for the first time on Monday and when I got there I ask if someone would show me around and make sure I knew how to use the machines correctly.


Well, they grabbed a young man who started me off but he appeared to be distracted. He showed me two leg machines and got called away and never came back. After about 15 minutes of wandering around I decided that I would make an appointment and come back.


I made the appointment and went back yesterday. The trainer did all the measurements to determine my percent of body fat and told me what I already new I had an unacceptable level of body fat. He had asked me to guess what the percentage was and I said between30 to 35 percent, saying to myself that was probably low. It came back as 32 percent.


He took me out on the floor and started to evaluate my level of fitness and after two exercises he told me I was unbalance. Part of me flashed back to the one time I went to a chiropractor and was told I had one leg shorter than the other and my back was crocked and then later was told, by a number of people, that everyone has one leg longer than the other and that everyone has a crocked back. My cynical self thought I was being sold a bill of goods. But my mind excepted this fact when I could not stand on one leg, with correct posture, and not fall over when trying to exercising with the other leg.


As we continued on I could feel what he was talking about. After we were through I went back and purchased the 5 session package. Even though he tried to sell me the 28 session package.


If he tells me after I finish the 5 sessions I need more, I will think about it, but if he tells me I have one leg shorter than the other I will have to rethink this gym thing.

3 comments:

SeaSpray said...

I am signing up for the fitness program at the Y next week. I still have a ureteral stent in me but my urologist is clearing me to exercise. I will get the note tomorrow and then know what kind of limitations if any. My head wants to do this but, in reality my body with the stent says "your kidding!". I have to do SOMETHING or at least try.

I wish you and FD every success. :)

Susan Palwick said...

Good luck! For those of us who don't look like models or athletes, signing up at a gym is a really brave thing to do.

I'm definitely not model material, but I've discovered that exercise is crucial to my well-being. The most important thing is to find a form of exercise you actively enjoy, because if you hate it, you'll stop doing it. I love swimming and hate weights: every gym professional I've consulted tells me I should do weights, but if I try to make myself, I'll stop going to the gym. So I just swim: that's much better than not doing anything!

In other words, find something that works for you, and don't let the gym nazis make you feel bad.

PT Pastor said...

Chiropractor? Remember I am married to a DO.

I went to a chiropractor for back problem. Had five visit and got worse each time. Never again