Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Under Estimating Children

One of the things I have to keep reminding myself about children is that they are often smarter than adults. Whether it is getting us to do something or give them something they want or just going ahead and doing it themselves, children are often two steps ahead.

This might be because they have little else on their minds except to learn and explore. One of the reasons I think time appears to go by faster as we get older is because we have the “been there done that” attitude for most of the world around us. As a child we spent time looking at the grass and bugs or watching the clouds go by. As adult we might look at the clouds and spends as much time as a child but our minds grasp clouds and make determination if it is going to rain or not, without seeing the “bird” or “tree” that children observe. Time for children is slower because they are anticipating what might be, instead of making assumptions as to what is.

I know, I know - a person's own child always is the smartest, cutest and most amazing child that ever lived. They have to be that in our minds so we can handle the brain dead things they do as teenagers or adults.

That said I have to share with you some of the things Son has done to bring me back to appreciation of what might be, instead of assuming what is. Son is 2 years 5 months old:

While sitting at the dinner table staring at a pile of Banana slices, anticipating not eating them, he line them up in a row counting each one with a tone saying “ I am not eating that one 1, I am not eating that one 2 ....“

After coming down the stairs in the morning he ran to the refrigerator and with open arms as if giving a blessing, saying “ red, red, Red.” The red light, that signaled locked or unlocked, on the in the door ice and water was off. He keeps saying this until the lock is put back on and the red light appears.

Last night at dinner I asked him what he wanted for dinner after he had eaten all the things I had given him. He said “Mickey mouse” (he is not much of a meat eater but if he wanted a mouse --)so we went though pretty much every box in the pantry asking if this is what he wanted. With the response of “Noooooooo,” that relayed the tone of "you stupid man." That is until I got to the box of crackers that has a picture of Goofy on the back and he says “Yes please.”

I wish I could be that observant, enjoy time as it passes slowly instead of assuming many things and then wonder where the time went. Like the time I spent writing this blog.

No comments: