Friday, December 08, 2006

Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me ....


Deep dark depression, excessive misery.

The best show in the history of TV, in my opinion, is coming to the end of it's fourth season. I watched the season finally of The Wire last night on HBO "On demand".

For the first time in my TV watching history I had that hollow yearning for more I sometime get when finishing a good book. At the end of the other three seasons I had feeling of regret but this it was a deep felt NO!! So many of the characters have changed the basic way they understand life that I want to see more, now.

The other reason for my lament is that in my reading about the series in the print media, is that it appears that next year's season might be the last for the series (most likely will be.) As the season finished last night it showed the characters as they were going about living life in the context of their changed reality. This change of reality has occurred over the series and the pace has been accelerated this year; some in pain, some in hope and some numbness. It feels like I have been living with a health vibrant friend watching and sharing their lives becoming, more complex and full than ever before and then being told that by this time next year they will be dead.

I know this is just a just a TV show and I should be more involved in my own community instead of being caught up in a fictionalized community set in Baltimore but I truly feel after watching this series I come to better understand the humanity of people struggling to understand their lives in relation to persons they would normally see as being on the "other side."

I guess at the bottom of this all is that the creators of the show have brought to life my understanding of the world around me.


  • There is no black and white, just gray. That in every person there is good and bad.

  • That most people make decisions with good intentions, contaminated by self interest.

  • And that there is hope of change for the better but that every change for the good has the possibility of unexpected consequences.

As Son would say "Oh my"

2 comments:

Fat Doctor said...

Sorry about the show, sweetie. Anyhoo, now more time for you to blog! I'm soooo impressed that you put in bulleted points - I've still not figured out how to do that. See you Sunday. XOXO.

Susan Palwick said...

Hi! I love THE WIRE too, although we watch all our TV on DVD, so I've only seen two seasons so far. And you don't need to apologize for being affected by stories! Telling (and retelling) stories is one of the most important things we do in church every Sunday, right? My current definition of scripture -- with a small "s" -- is any story that helps create, define, and maintain a community. Sacred scriptures certainly do that, but so do secular ones, and TV shows function as scripture for a LOT of people. (Have you read the book WHAT WOULD BUFFY DO?)

Anyway, I share your sorrow that this series is ending!