Thursday, December 21, 2006

Taking the King's Shilling


This morning on the way to work I was, as usual, listening to NPR. One of the stories was about the need to increase the size of the Army and Marines. The question was asked if the Army was having a hard time making it's recruiting goals now- how will they do if they have to recruit another 50,000 a 100,000 soldiers. The answer was to offer better signing bonuses to new recruits of the military.

After hearing that I could not help thinking about the English Army of the 18th and part of the 19th century. The Army in this time period of English history, was a "volunteer" Army. Recruiting Sergeants would go from village to village, or from block to block in the cities, with a drummer (hence the phrase "drumming up business")looking to fill the regiments. Each regiment was responsible for its own recruiting. They often used taverns to recruit, getting the intoxicated patrons to take the "King's shilling." Often putting the shilling in the ale glass so that when they had finished the mug the shilling would fall into the mouth and by this action accepting the shilling. By accepting the shilling, no matter how it came into a persons possession, they were by law agreeing to join the regiment (notice the root of the word soldier is sold.)

The men, who of their own free will, volunteered for the English Army often did so out of a last resort. They were either running from the law or in such dire financial circumstances that it was either join the Army or die.

Today the United States' volunteer Military is not as draconian as the English Army but there is similar motivation of financial needs of some of the men and women joining the military. This economic draft is part of who we are today and it is a great benefit for people who need that leg up in life.

What bothers me is that if these people had other options would they take them over the military? A military career is honorable and fulfilling choice for a life's work. As a matter of fact I would have signed a military contract in college, I wanted to, but I was two pounds over the weight limit to qualify on the last day to sign and was disqualified. In the mid 70's the a military career was not a popular choice but that is what I felt was my life's calling. Looking back I wonder how my life would have been different.

I know that most of our service people today have chosen the military out of patriotism and calling.

My heart goes out to those soldiers, sailors, marines and air force personnel who are in harms way because they felt they had no choice but to except the "Kings shilling"

7 comments:

Fat Doctor said...

I never knew any of that. You're such a history dude, dude!

OHN said...

Very interesting PT..I love learning little tidbits here and there. I have 3 sons and while the military is an honorable life choice it scares the heck out of me thinking about them in harms way. It's a little ironic considering hubby is a police officer but he already was when we met so I knew that going in...the boys on the other hand, even at 18,16,and 12 they are still babies :)

Unknown said...

just a tibit from the cold north...

dont know about now, but 15 to 20 years ago in Cdn messes, beer mugs in some sort of metal were given at promotions, "mugging ins" etc. But the bottoms were always glass... from the old days - so you could see the "shilling" before drinking.

How kwel is that :)

Unknown said...

did you know about glass bottomed beer mugs ?? A great Cdn tradition in messes

PT Pastor said...

medstudentwife,

I have seen metal mugs with glass bottoms, I think I have one some where. Thanks for the information that adds to my body of knowledge.

Nikeroo said...

Hmmm, I guess we're lucky that in Western countries the pay is actually decent. I worry about those in the developing world that join the army out of economic necessity and get paid a pittance!

MommaB said...

I don't think many of these kids would join the Army if they had a safer alternative out of poverty.
I find it telling that when Bush (Mr. War) was asked about his daughters and why they were not in the military, he said people can serve the country in many ways.
Well yeah, especially if their parents have money and can help them out with things like auto and rent.
The rich are getting richer from their war related stocks, and the poor are burying their dead.