Tuesday, December 12, 2006

@#%$&*, @#*&^ Lights!



If you have read my previous blog on Christmas decorations "The Dreaded Season of Yart,"you will know that I have mixed feeling when it comes to decorating for Christmas. Last year we put white lights on the bushes and a wreath on the door and called it good.

When we moved into our home the previous owner proudly told me that he was leaving the Christmas lights for us to use because they looked great on the house. Well they were icicles lights and after living in Texas for a number of years and seeing icicles in place never intended to have icicles I told myself I would never use icicles lights.

Never say never. I should have learned by now that if I am destined to do something I can count on it if I utter the magical phrase "I Never...." As a child I can remember telling my parents I never wanted to live in Texas. Guess what, I lived there for ten years. I remember when my 1979 Ford gave me nothing but trouble I said, I would never by another Ford. Guess what I am presently driving.

You can also guess what I have been doing over the last three days. Yes, you are correct I have been trying to hang icicle lights on our house. All the hangers were in place, in the garage, all the lights worked. The weather was as good as it was going to get. So, on Saturday I put them up. Guess what, after I got the lights up - fighting uneven ground, bushes, trees and gutters that did not want to cooperate - portions of four of the six strings of lights that worked in the garage did not work when hung on the house. I did not spew unseemly words, this was just the first attempt.

I decided to get four new strands of icicle lights and try again next day. The next day I took down the offending strings of lights and started to replace them with new lights. Well, the new lights were 8 inches shorter than the old, internally I went @#%$&*- @#*&^! .

So, I realized that I was going to have to take all the lights down and get a few more strings. Okay I can do that. Yesterday I got the rest of the lights. We now have a whole new set of icicle lights (hit self upside head). The weather is warmer. It appears that God is in heaven and all is right with the world. I get the lights up with few difficulties and lots of electrical tape. I plug them in and guess what, right dab in the middle of the middle string on the longest and most difficult run of lights, there are 5 lines of icicles that are dark. This time I mutter to self softly @#%$& - @#*& - *****.

Tonight I will replace that middle string of lights.

I don't think I will be mutter softly this time if they don't work.

2 comments:

Bo... said...

The other day I spent a long time carefully wrapping Christmas lights "just so" around my balcony railings. I plugged them in...and they wouldn't light. I then cussed for awhile and beat the light string's fuse container ragged in order to see if I could "force" the lights to work. After much more cussing and beating I finally figured it out. The electric socket didn't work... (And I hope nobody witnessed my cussing---since I live next door to a church.)

Anonymous said...

LOL. I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing with you. I only decorated a tree this year. Thats as far as I will be pushed.
Good luck with the icicle's. Bless your heart, why are you torturing yourself?
Put a wreath on the door. Set up your christmas tree and call it a day.
Just a suggestion:).
I know, should have told you before you started.