Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Wheeze from Above


Last night a little while after I went to bed, as I laid awake feeling bloated from all the fat and carbs I had eaten that day. Repeatedly asking myself when do I do this to myself. The this being, over eating to the point where sleep is uncomfortable and accumulating enough gas to let loose burbs that could pass for a fog horn.

As I laid there feeling like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon, I heard over the baby monitor Son wheezing. Which in my book is not a good thing. Son had been coughing for the last couple days. So much so, with so much repatriation, that we were able to teach him to cover his mouth when he coughs, which he now does about 80% of the time. The other 20% is usually right in my face.

Hearing the wheezing my mind went to ronchi and rales. Son had a fever yesterday, along with the cough. My mind raced to pneumonia. In my carb and fat addled mind all I could thing to do was wake up Dr. Wife (who had been asleep since 8pm, it is know around midnight.)

I ask, "Is that wheezing coming from Son?"

She responds, "Yes it is he'll be fine."

I respond, "If I remember right wheezing is not good."

She then tells me that we have some albuterol left over from last time and if I want to I could give him a treatment, but that to do so I would have to go to Sister's to get the nebulizer. Even in my carb addled state I clearly did not want to wake up Sister and Brother-in-Law, who had been up Christmas Eve night and Christmas morning putting together presents with many small pieces for niece and nephew.

I was not present the first and last time, when son needed breathing treatment, so I then asked if we had nebulizing cup and tubing. If we did, I thought I rig one of the CPAP's up to the bubbler and give Son a treatment. You see we have a O2 set up for Wife's CPAP from when she was in the hospital. I thought I could reverse the direction of the flow.

You might ask why I though I could rig this set up. The answer is that while I was a paramedic (in my youth) I spent one of those five years as a respiratory therapist. This was in the old'en days when equipment was not as specialized as today and there was times at 3 am when we had to figure out ways to get equipment to work in different ways than designed to deliver the an ordered therapy.

All that said, we did not have a bubbler or for that matter one of those face moisturizing machines (it would have worked.) When I am bloated on carbs my mind does not stop and it functions in odd ways.

After I realized there was no way to deliver the albuterol, I brought Son down to sleep with us. That action just insures that none of us would get any sleep. After half an hour I took Son back to his bed.

This morning I took Son to Wife's clinic to have one of her colleagues check him over and tells us what we already knew. Of course, he didn't have temp this morning - but he was still wheezing.

He order a machine for us to use. Son and I got home a little while ago and I gave him a treatment. He did not like the process but he did get a good dose of meds. It is amazing how deep a child breaths when crying. He is now sleeping, the first good sleep in two days.

Now if I could find a treatment that keep me away from carbs and fats, I could sleep as well.

3 comments:

Bo... said...

...ah, but that's the trick, isn't it?...

Susan Palwick said...

I hope both of you feel better!

laughing pastor said...

I can do the neb. machine in my sleep with my hands tied behind my back while at the same time carrying 500 pounds of weight. Come to think of it...now that son no longer uses the neb. machine it is as if 500 pounds have been lifted from my shoulders. Rest assured when we are with your son we will know what to do and when to do it. God bless you friend.