Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Wake-Up Call


Some would say I am time obsessed. Tend to worry about being late. Late to meetings -to flights -even to wake up in the morning. I know this says something about who I am.

While taking a counseling class in graduate school, it was marriage and family therapy or group therapy don't really remember, one of the supervisors said something about how people use time and what it says about them.

If you are early you are anxious; if you are on time you are compulsive, if you are late you are controlling. For the most part I think his observation is correct. He also said things about white males and pinkie rings and women in red coats but that is for another time.

I admit it I am normally early and I confess I am anxious when it comes to time. When I stay at hotels I set the alarm clock in the hotel (that is if I can figure out how to set it with out calling maintenance) set my own alarm clock and I get a wake-up call from the front desk. Even then I do not sleep well afraid I will over sleep. Because I travel so much I have a lot of restless nights.

One of the reasons I am always early is that I don't want to keep people waiting on my account. I don't want to be rude. How I would love to be able to arrive when I feel like and expect people to wait for my entrance. I have tried to be late, from time to time, problem is that I would sit out in the car waiting to be late worried if I was going to be late enough.

I have to meet my colleague for dinner in 45 minutes. I guess I better leave so I can get to the lobby on time.

5 comments:

Fat Doctor said...

Ever notice how we are always the earliest in both of our families? What does that make us - the anxious couple? Pretty much. This post is so YOU!

Jaimie said...

This is too funny. I have heard that people who are late are attention seeking. They are demanding to be noticed. What about me? I do all of the appove. I am anxious, compulsive, and controlling too. I never know if I am going to be early, ontime or late. I am always thought the attention seeking didn't fit me, because I want to blend in, go by unnoticed. Hmm. My mother is ALWAYS late. At least for anything important. Well, for pretty much anything. I didn't notice it until I got older. SHE certainly fits into the controlling (manipulative) and attention seeking categories.

Viva Von said...

OMG... I'm always late!

*Twilight Zone theme song*

Artemis said...

I'm always late, but in part because I HATE to be early* -- when I'm waiting for someone, my anxiety level sky-rockets; not sure how this skews your analysis, but there it is.

*O.K., probably the biggest reason is that I NEVER, EVER, EVER take into consideration that it will take time to transport myself physically from point A to point B (so I'm forever scheduling things like "meeting from 8 - 9, start in office at 9am"). Then I wonder why I'm always a step behind. Funny, this doesn't feel controlling AT ALL.
A

SeaSpray said...

Hmm...I ..have a deep red leather coat. Do I want to know what that means? :)