Thursday, December 07, 2006

Scientific Prophet




I hope he is not always correct in the visioning of the future. These are some of the topics written about in David Brin's 1991 Earth:

  • The world wide web and the self forming web communities
  • The use of portable video equipment that citizens ware to maintain law and order
  • Portable telecommunications that could be used on while hiking in the wilderness
  • He wrote of New Orleans and the rising dikes to hold off the rising oceans
I have to admit that I am a big fan. So much so that I buy hardcovers when a new novel is published. There are some things that he wrote about in this novel that have not come about but very well could:

  • Building arks for wild life when their natural habitat is no longer viable and have to build self contained ecosystems for them because the ozone is so depleted they could not survive without the protection
  • A war over the secrecy of the banking system
I have read this book several times. The first book of his that got me hooked was The Practice Effect. The basic premise of this book is that scientist have discovered a way to move back and forth between parallel universes. The other universe the main character enters is the same as our universe except for one thing. Instead of items waring out with use, the more you use an item the better it gets. For example, the more you wear shoes the better they get or to build a house you put up cheap walls and the more you life in it the better it gets.

This book got me hooked and I read everything he has written. I have been waiting for his next book of fiction for while. If you want to check out his web site it is http://www.davidbrin.com/.

No comments: